[PyUGAT-Announce] Stackoverflow research survey

Lucas Gerrand e1228404 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 8 21:30:22 CEST 2015

Dear Pythonista's,

I'm doing my masters thesis at the Technical University of Vienna on
finding experts on Stackoverflow and need users to complete some surveys to
get results for the research. If you have a Stackoverflow account it would
be great if you could participate. It will only take a few minutes.

*Nature of the research*
Briefly, the research aims to see if we can apply an algorithm/model to
identify and measure experts in Stackoverflow. The algorithm focuses on
machine learning techniques, network algorithms and statistical
measures. Additionally,
the research identifies users expertise fields through matching tags to an
ontology (an organized hierarchy of fields) and poses the question whether
it's possible to measure different levels of expertise, for example if a
person has expertise in Java, then it is assumed they have expertise in
Object Oriented Programming.

*How the survey relates to the research?*
The user survey is necessary to see how well the developed algorithm
performs in terms of reliability and validity and if a correlation exists
between the users results and the algorithm. The survey identifies some
tags which you often contribute to and different levels of fields, for
example if you have a tag in Java, then we want to know your level of
expertise is in Object Oriented Programming.

*Results and Findings*
All data is kept private and confidential. The data will only used for the
research.
We will send you a follow up email after the research is finished about the
results and findings.

*Participate*
The survey takes just a few minutes online, we simply ask you to score your
level of expertise from 0 (No knowledge of the subject) to 100 (Top level
expert) for some given tags you commonly participated in on Stackoverflow.
Visit the survey page at:  http://techscreen.tuwien.ac.at:9050

*Questions*If you have any questions about the research or the survey
please write an email to Lucas Gerrand at e1228404 at student.tuwien.ac.at

Thank you for your time. We appreciate your participation in the research.

Kind Regards,
Lucas Gerrand
e1228404 at student.tuwien.ac.at